Sunday, April 21, 2013

WPP Implementation

 Wicked Problem Part C required me to implement my solution, unfortunately I am not currently teaching in the classroom so I had to try out my solution on the people I could find.. My parents.  Although they may not be the best candidates to test this solution out on since they have never taken a foreign language class, they were the only option I had so I just went with it. 

As a reminder, my wicked problem is about teaching grammar in my French classroom and how to make it more interactive and student based rather than teacher based.  So for my solution I decided to try out the Flipped Classroom model to see if having my students learn the grammar rules on their own at home then practicing in class would help them remember the rules more readily.  In order to test out my theory I created a Jing presentation dealing with the passé composé (or the past tense) where I read a story out loud featuring the passé composé in French.  As the students go along they only had to pay attention to the story and the highlighted parts to try and figure out the rules.  At the end of the presentation I guide students towards figuring out what the grammar rules are so that we can discuss them in class.  Below is a link to my Jing presentation.

2013-04-21_1842

So I showed this video to my parents and kind of gave them a quick French lesson (because they don't know anything about it whatsoever).  Basically, it was a big disappointment.   I think the main reason for them not understanding anything was because they have never taken a French class and the concept I was teaching was something you would learn in your second year so its a little more complex.  Another big disappoint dealt with Jing, because you can only do a five minute clip it was really limiting and I found my self rushing at points where I would have normally explained things a little more thoroughly.  I really look forward to trying out this presentation with a real French class where the students have at least had some experience with the language and getting (hopefully) better and more accurate results.  But I definitely think short little presentations like this will be a great addition to my classroom maybe not all the time but every once and a while to change things up a bit.

No comments:

Post a Comment