Sunday, April 14, 2013

Survey Results

My Wicked Problem Project focuses on teaching grammar in the foreign language classroom.  My hypothesis is that by teaching grammar following a Flipped Classroom model our students will connect more with the material and have a higher retention rate.  In order to get feedback from my fellow educators on this topic I created a survey using Google Forms.  A week later I was pleased to see that I received 13 responses to my survey! Below are my results:

For my survey I focused on getting feedback regarding the flipped classroom from my peers.  Seeing as I have no experience in a flipped classroom I wanted to see what others opinions were who have been apart of a flipped classroom in the past.  I began with a very basic question to see who had taken a foreign language class before.  Although many people may not know a second language the majority of my peers have at least taken a class before:

Next, I wanted to focus on the flipped classroom and see how many of my participants have had experience in this before:

After this question I inserted space for my participants to elaborate on the positives and negatives to the flipped classroom.  After reading through the responses there was a pretty equal balance between positive and negative comments.  The main positive that multiple people listed was that students have the ability to learn at their own pace and spend class time honing their skills.  The main negative that was mentioned was student motivation.  When we don't have the students in class during lectures how can we insure that they actually watch the lectures at home?  If the students don't have the motivation to complete the lectures at home we will end up spending class time going over the information yet again.

Finally, I wanted to see what my peers opinion was about implementing the flipped classroom within a foreign language classroom.  The results show that the majority were in favor of testing out this new idea.  A space was provided for my participants to explain why they thought it would or would not be beneficial and many thought it would be great to try because it will provide the much needed class time to practice and speak the language, which was exactly what I'm hoping will happen. 


Overall, I got great feedback from my survey and it was great to see that my peers were in support of my idea to solve my wicked problem.  I am going to use the feedback and ideas I received and begin to implement my wicked problem solution.  However, more feedback is always helpful! Feel free to complete my survey and give me any more helpful tips!

No comments:

Post a Comment